PKF Kerikeri

Dealing with the Drought and Coronavirus

I’ve recently booked my first family holiday with the kids - outside of long weekends and Christmas. My eldest is 7 so you can imagine this has been a long time coming. We’re off to Fiji for a week and I’m regularly checking travel warnings and restrictions. Travel insurance has certainly brought me peace of mind.

The effects of the drought and Coronavirus are starting to be felt closer to home. We’re seeing government and local bodies pull together with relief packages. Here is a summary of essential information. 

Inland Revenue – If you are having difficulty meeting your tax obligations because of these impacts, please contact us to discuss tax relief and income assistance along with other measures. We can take the hassle out of dealing directly with IRD as we know how to speak their language. Options available include early withdrawal from income equalisation schemes, re-estimating upcoming provisional tax, instalment arrangements for paying outstanding tax and arranging extensions for late filing and payments.

New Zealand Trade and Enterprise – NZTE are daily updating a page on their website with information from NZTE, Ministry for Primary Industries, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, and Customs. This is valuable information for exporters and importers as this page includes contact details for the relevant agencies if you need to get in touch directly.

Travel – Foreign travellers who have been present in, or transited through, Iran or mainland China in the previous 14 days will be refused entry to New Zealand. This has been extended to include crew and passengers on board the Diamond Princess Cruise ship. Tourism New Zealand has information for owners of travel businesses while Consumer Protection has guidance about cancelled or delayed flights and travel bookings for travellers.

Northland Regional Council – If you require assistance because of the drought, there are a number of local agencies to contact. Help ranges from town water supply contact details, tips on treating your own water, free support and counselling services through to tenancy information and animal welfare.

Work and Income – WINZ may be able to help you with financial assistance and you do not need to be on a benefit to be eligible. An Emergency Benefit will help you pay staff until the business is up and running, and a one-off payment will fill up your water tank. Rural Assistance Payments are paid to help farmers with essential living costs.

It’s completely normal for you to be emotionally and physically drained by these situations. You’re not alone in feeling this way, and you don’t have to cope on your own. Contact our PKF Kerikeri office today and let us know how we can help you.

Further information